New Policy Regarding Inquiries
(January 5, 2019)
In addition to our long-standing policy of not dealing with purchasers and resellers of translation (i.e., translation agencies or brokers), we hereby confirm our policy regarding inquiries, effective immediately (January 5, 2019). This policy affects:
- all inquiries from individuals,
- all inquiries from Chinese Entities, and
- all inquiries sent from free email accounts such as gmail.
The only response that will be made to individuals, Chinese entities, and e-mail sent from free email accounts will be an autoreply message with this new policy.
Inquiries from Individuals
We no longer accept inquiries from individuals. Our experience is that many are merely window-shopping and that most do not have the money to purchase professional translation services.
Inquiries from Chinese Entities
There are a number of reasons why a tier-one provider of Japanese/English translation should avoid China.
- Essentially all Japanese-to-English and English-to-Japanese translators working in China are translating from one foreign language to another (i.e., working between Japanese and English). Professional translators realize that is a recipe for failure.
- Security concerns (this should need no explanation; China is demonstrably a rogue state in this area).
- Concerns about repeating the serious strategic error made by myopic corporations in the free world that valued cheap labor over ethics and human values when they surrendered their manufacturing businesses to China. We firmly refuse to be a part of doing something similar to the translation business.
For the above reasons, we do not even respond to inquiries coming from Chinese entities.
Inquiries Sent from Free Email Accounts
Regardless of who they purport to be or represent, unknown people embracing the "everything-for-free" new-age strategy of using a free email account such as gmail either are highly unlikely to be able to afford professional language services or have some other reason for using an email account that can be created anonymously. Inquiries from people using such free email accounts will be ignored without exception.