New Policy Regarding Inquiries
(January 5, 2019; edited May 10, 2020)
In addition to our long-standing policy of not dealing with purchasers and resellers of translation (i.e., translation agencies or brokers), we hereby confirm our policy regarding inquiries, effective immediately (January 5, 2019). This policy affects:
- all inquiries from individuals,
- all inquiries from Entities in China, and
- all inquiries sent from free email accounts such as gmail.
The only response that will be made to individuals, Chinese entities, and e-mail sent from free email accounts will be an autoreply message reaffirming this new policy.
Inquiries from Individuals
We no longer accept inquiries from individuals. Our business is limited to B2B transactions.
Inquiries from Entities in China
In the 35-plus years we have been in business, we have never once purchased translations from nor sold translations to an entity in China.
There are a number of reasons why a tier-one provider of Japanese/English translation should avoid entities in China.
- Essentially all Japanese-to-English and English-to-Japanese translators working in China are translating from one foreign language to another (i.e., working between Japanese and English). That is clearly a recipe for failure, and is similar to asking a native Polish speaker to translate from French to German.
- Security concerns.
- Concerns about repeating the serious strategic error made by myopic corporations in the free world that valued cheap labor over ethics and human values when they surrendered their manufacturing businesses to China. We firmly refuse to be a part of doing something similar to the translation business.
Inquiries Sent from Free Email Accounts
Regardless of who they purport to be or represent, unknown people embracing the "everything-for-free" new-age strategy of using a free email account such as gmail either are highly unlikely to be able to afford professional language services or have some other reason for using an email account that can be created anonymously. All inquiries from people using such free email accounts will be ignored without exception.